Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday

Phone Pictures 2011 118

 

Today was Sunday, our first day attending our new ward in Maryland – The Inner Harbor Ward.  Well, I went to bed last night with a horrible cold and woke up this morning not feeling much better.  Our meeting began at 10:00 and since I was unable to go, Roy went by himself.  We found the correct address (last night we went to the baptism at the Stake Center so we hadn’t been to our ward yet), and Roy put it into the GPS in our car.  I proceeded to sit on the couch and rest (or try to).  About 10:15 Roy called to ask for the phone number to the chapel (ward) because he couldn’t find the ward building.  He called, no one answered, so he parked the car where he thought the building was and proceeded to walk a neighborhood hoping to ask someone for directions.  Ahh, bad idea.  He figured out right away that this was not a good neighborhood to be walking in.  I don’t know if any of you know the neighborhood of Sayonara in Citrus Heights before it was cleaned up, but this neighborhood was worse – much worse.  So, Roy quickly turned and walked back to the car.  He tried the foyer phone again and finally someone answered.  He got the right directions and got to the meeting at 10:55 – only 55 minutes late and kind of frazzledDisappointed smile.  Anyway, alls well -that ends well.  He enjoyed the  rest of the meetings. 

Note:  In our church we meet for three hours on Sundays. 

  • First hour is Sacrament Meeting where we have a welcome, opening prayer and then partake of the sacrament which is bread and water in remembrance of the Savior and his sacrifice for us.  The bread represents his flesh and the water his blood. 
  • The second hour is Sunday School where the adults and youth have gospel instructions; and the children 18 months to three years have nursery time; and the children 3 years to 11 years have Primary (gospel centered around their individual age groups). 
  • The third hour is Relief Society for the women; Priesthood for the men; Primary for the children; nursery for the little guys; and Young Men and Young Woman meetings for the youth. 

Roy finally got home about 2:30.  He said that it is a small ward with a mixture of cultures.  We have been asked to teach the Gospel Essentials class.  This class helps new members to understand the gospel.

We start our work in the mission office tomorrow.  I plan on going.  Staying home in the apartment is not what I plan to do.  I am here to serve a mission and I can’t do it by sitting around being sick.  Besides, I am BORED TO DEATHShifty  My friends and family know how short my patience is.  I have to be doing something all the time. 

Yesterday we bought a wireless printer for our laptop.  I figured out how to set it up today.  It is so nice to have a way to print.  I printed out a few pictures of our family and put them up on the wall in our room.  It is nice to see our children and their families.  We are so proud of each of them and what they have accomplished in their lives.  We feel very blessed.  I have also included a picture of my brother and I, and all of my Mom and Dad’s grandchildren (minus Maggie and Abby, my brothers two beautiful teenage girls).

Phone Pictures 2011 126