Thursday, April 12, 2012

4th MTC Day

What an awesome, fulfilling day! We started out at 8:00 (after arising at 6:00 and eating a massive breakfast at 7:00).  We met together in the ‘big’ room and had a lesson on The Book of Mormon.  It was given by a young, return missionary, just 24 years old and she had more knowledge in her head from her experiences as a missionary than I have in my whole life.  We are constantly amazed at how much these young people learn and grow by serving.  I used to wonder, as a young person, why anyone would want to give up the ‘fun life’ to go to a foreign land to do humanitarian work, serve a mission, work in soup kitchens, take care of the poor, needy and elderly.  Now I know somewhat how they feel.  The growth and understanding you gain is beyond what I imagined.  Roy and I always knew that sending our children on a mission and supporting them in that effort was what was needed for their future growth as individuals, but we didn’t realize just how much the mission strengthens and guides them in their adult life as well as their families.  I don’t believe anything is by chance.  I believe that our Heavenly Father watches over us and has a plan for us.  In order to fulfill what that plan is, we have to prepare ourselves and what better way to prepare than by doing unselfish service.  Any comments, experiences or ideas are welcome. . .

After our first break we went into what is called a small meeting, which consists of four couples and a young missionary teacher.  We have gotten very close to the other senior missionaries in our group. P1000140 As you can see, we enjoy being together and learning.  (I have to say, in my defense, I look huge in this picture – I’m never wearing that outfit again Confused smile)

After breaking for lunch we meet back again for some role playing.  That can be intimidating until you realize that everyone else is just as nervous as you are.  It actually turned out to be fun.  We ‘pretended’ we were going to a non-member’s home who was interested in learning more about the gospel (the words and life of Jesus Christ).  The people who played the part of the non-member were volunteers from the community.  Roy and I walked in and felt at first like deer caught in the headlights, but after a few minutes, the feeling left and we had a great time.  This role playing was so valuable in that it taught us how to not only teach and help non-members learn about Christ, but also, where they are coming from in their knowledge of Christ and his teachings.  We sometimes forget that not everyone feels nor has the same knowledge as we do about Jesus Christ and that’s not a bad thing, it’s just that we need to be able to relate to them in a manner that will help and not hinder.

After ending the day with another big meeting with all of the senior couples, which was on the topic of Missionary Experiences, (are you surprised Winking smile), we went to dinner.  The picture I have included shows only about a fourth of the cafeteria that we eat in.  It is hard to imagine the organization it takes to run a kitchen as efficiently as this kitchen is run.  All are fed in a timely manner.  It is done in a cafeteria style.  There are five food stations (hope I counted that right) with all types of food.  Believe me when I say it is home town cooking and it is good!  There is plenty of healthy, low-fat food and also plenty of good ‘ole fattening food.  The pictures only shows approximately a quarter of the eating area.  P1000142       P1000141Ahh, yes but it is good Smile  Roy feels that every time we are in the cafeteria, we see all these young men and he thinks of the stripling warriors which are spoken of in the Book of Mormon under Alma, Chapter 53, and can see the strength in them and feel their testimonies.  And when classes break, we see companies of them walking the halls with their strength and testimony.  The young women are such great examples and are so friendly and desire to help in everything that we do.  It is an overwhelming feeling.

More tomorrow . . .have to study now.