Saturday, June 23, 2012

Washington DC Temple

Enter this door as if the floor within were gold
And every wall of jewels
All of wealth untold
As if a choir in robes of fire
Were singing here
Nor shout,
Nor rush,
But hush. . .
For God is here.

(Given by President Spencer W. Kimball at the re-dedication of the Hawaiian Temple)

Today Elder Boehrer and I drove to Kensington, Maryland and did a session at the Washington DC temple.  We didn’t set out to go to a session.  We started out thinking that we would go to the temple and see the grounds and then do some sightseeing around Washington.  When we got to the temple we went inside to the foyer and as we visited with the  temple workers at the front desk, one of them said to us, “Well, are you doing a session today?”  And we said we really aren’t dressed to attend the temple.  Elder Boehrer had a white shirt and tie with jeans on and I had flip flops on because my feet hurt (that is another story for later).  Anyway, the temple worker said, you are dressed to attend the temple.  He said that when he and his wife were on vacation, they stopped into see another temple and he was dressed in jeans and a colored shirt and tie, and was still told that he could attend.  NOTE:  When we go to the temple, it is very sacred to our members, therefore, we dress in our best Sunday attire, ie., white shirt, tie and suit or sport coat for men and dresses for women.  We, as missionaries, should not be in flip flops unless it is necessary.  President Brigham Young said “Gentlemen, put your cigarettes out at the door, and come into the church and worship with us.”  I appreciate that quote after today.  Not that we had a cigarette, but we weren’t dressed as appropriately as we would have liked.  I’m sure the Lord knows the heart of His children.

We are so glad we attended a session.  What an uplifting day.  We are very grateful for the temple. 

*I added descriptive tags with the pictures, I hope they show up.  Went to lunch at Subway, too.