Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pass-a-long card

I actually handed out my first Pass-A-Long card!  Yay. (I forgot to mention it yesterday). NOTE: A Pass-a-long card is a small card the size of a credit card.   Each one has a different question or idea with a website that you can go to to get the answer.  For example one card might say”Does God Care What I Do With My Life” and on the back it directs you to go to Mormon.org for the answer.  It also has the name of our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Another one might say “How Can I Know If God Has A Purpose For My Life?”, etc.  So, we are standing in line at McDonalds  yesterday morning (cause we couldn’t’ eat at the apartment because all of our stuff was on the table, the floor, etc.),for breakfast, which, by the way, was really good.  You have to try their hot oatmeal with fruit, etc.  Awesome.  And it’s under 300 calories and it tastes goodOpen-mouthed smile  So anyway, after we got our order and got ready to pay, I thought “Why not see if this young man is interested in learning more about Heavenly Father and His plan for us.”  So, I handed him a card with our money.  Surprisingly, to me anyway, he took the card and said “thank you” and that he would read it.  That wasn’t so bad.  Hey, now I’m brave!  Honestly, it is a good feeling to know that maybe someone can be helped or have their questions answered by reading and following the instructions on one of those cards.  If you see a missionary, ask for one.  They will be happy to give you one.  Winking smile

Elder Boehrer and I put our profile on Mormon.org.  Once you put your information on the site it has to go to Salt Lake for approval.  The reason for that is because they want to be sure that it follows the guidelines of the site and to help you if you have problems with putting your profile on there.  Elder Boehrer got an email back right away saying that all was well with his.  I sent mine in this past Monday – still waiting . . .  Anyway, if you get a chance, go to Mormon.org, then click on Our People, then click on Meet Mormons, then in the search bar type in Roy b. and his profile will come up.  I’ll let you know about mine, as soon as I get it back.  Gosh.  There are other interesting things you can do on the site.  It’s nice just to browse through.

Tomorrow morning Elder Boehrer and I and three other senior missionary couples are going to the Star Spangled 200 celebration in Inner Harbor Baltimore.  It has been going on since yesterday.  We will be leaving about 9:00 in the morning and hope to see as much as possible.  I am really excited to see the tall ships as they will be sitting in the harbor.  There will be a ton of celebrations and interesting things to see. “The bicentennial of The Star-Spangled Banner and the War of 1812 presents a tremendous opportunity to tell the story of Maryland's pivotal role in securing America's independence and giving our nation two of its most enduring icons - the anthem and the flag.”  Lots of history!  When we are done with the sightseeing, we are all going to the Gibbon’s home for a barbeque.  It will be a long day and I think it will be very interesting and fun.  Oh yeah, I’ll be taking a lot of pictures!