Today we went to the DC Temple Visitor’s Center to hear a talk given by Elder Bednar. The theme of his message was that we need to teach by faith and revelation. He had a different approach to taking notes during meetings. He said that instead of taking down notes on what the speaker is saying, listen, then jot down what feelings you have. Both Elder Boehrer and I tried that approach and it seems to have worked. You tend to listen just as intently (or not as intently – depending on your mood ) but you are thinking about what he says how it makes you feel.
He gave a couple of ideas, such as:
- When you pray for something, don’t just ask the Lord to help you. Have a plan; think it through; then ask the Lord what you can do to get the answer to your prayer. For example, I have been concerned because I am not able to get in the exercise (walking) that I am used to. It’s too hot to walk when we get home, or too rainy, there is no time during the day when we are at the Mission Office, no time in the evening to go to the gym and don’t want to spend the $$$$. I thought about getting a treadmill, but I know I won’t use it. I don’t like to walk indoors. After thinking about what would work and praying about it, I asked President Belliston’s wife what she and other Sisters do for exercise and it seems they go in the morning before the day starts, as weather permits. So, I’ll try that. We’ll se what works best.
- Don’t just teach what you have planned because that’s what the next lesson is about, teach with the Spirit, then you will be teaching what the investigator needs to hear at that time. For example, if the investigator says tonight is not a good night to teach me because my Mother died, you need to listen to that and be aware of what is going on in his/her life.
- We are always dependent on the Holy Ghost. When it works, it is not us that is teaching, it is the Spirit.
- We are lighting little ‘Fires of Faith’. Not always when we teach or help others is it going to be a big deal. It might be that something simple we have said, or been an example of, is what affects the person the most. We can receive spiritual gifts as needed for others.
- We should remember that investigators don’t need a buddy, they need servants of the Lord. Always remember who you represent.
Elder Bednar’s talk was from 9:00 to 12:00. Yep, that seems like a long time, but he had the missionaries ask questions and give their ideas and thoughts. It was a great way to give the meeting a more personal feel.
Elder Boehrer and I met three more Senior couples in the mission. It was fun to meet and get to know each other. We are the newest Senior’s until next week when the new couple comes into town on Wednesday (oops, can’t remember their names).
An Observation: For those of you who know Elder Boehrer, he has a hard time hearing because his hearing aids don’t work well for him and a hard time walking any length because of his hip and knee, but as we have been out here in the mission he has more stamina than I do! It is great to see and he doesn’t even realize it. He is enjoying what he is doing and being given the strength and endurance for what he needs. Oh, yeah, and he can hear too. He wears his hearing aides everyday and they work just fine. Yay!!!!
For our friends the Shirleys and the Bells; we found out today that two sets of Senior Missionaries (The Gibbons and the Olsens) LOVE to play Hand and Foot. Elder Gibbons says the men always win (sounds a little like Brother Shirley), so it’s on. Can’t wait for our first game night!!
We didn’t get a chance today to go into the temple, just the Visitor’s Center because of other meetings scheduled for today. That is something we are looking forward to.