Friday, November 23, 2012

Mount Vernon

George Washington

P1020789

Well, Elder Boehrer has a cushie seat Winking smile

P1020761                                 Mount Vernon

                        P1020775P1020776

                        P1020777P1020778

Today Elder Boehrer and I went to Mt. Vernon, which is the home of George Washington.  It was very interesting, huge and  beautiful.  We learned so much about this great man and his family.  What a leader of men.  We also learned about his wife and son and daughter.  Maybe you all listened during History class, but I am finding out I sure didn’t. . .Eye rolling smile  I feel like I am back in class but it is much more interesting.Nerd smile School

I understand now why so many school age children were there today.  What a learning experience for them.

Just entering Virginia and walking towards the gift shop and Inn

P1020750P1020751

Inn and Entrance

P1020752P1020753

Entrance and a field of sheep – so peaceful

P1020754P1020755

Entrance and model of Mt. Vernon

P1020756P1020757

Yep, a Christmas camel.  I have never seen a camel before – wow.

P1020758P1020759

Yes, he had turkeys too.

P1020760

The Slave Quarters – what I couldn’t get over was the fact that they were treated better

than most slaves and their conditions were small and certainly not enough food. When

George died, he said in his will that he wanted all of the slaves freed when Mrs.

Washington died and he left them enough money that they got a good start on their new life.

Mrs. Washington only waited a year after Washington’s death and then released them.

P1020762P1020763

P1020764P1020765

P1020766P1020767

P1020768P1020769

The Blacksmith shop

P1020771P1020772

The overseer lived pretty good and made about $333 a month – a millionaire!!!!

P1020773P1020774

This is the type of beautiful dishes that Mrs. Washington owned

P1020781P1020782

The Garden Hot House – Beautiful and the winter garden

P1020783P1020784

A huge ancient tree that was there when George lived there.

P1020785P1020786

Lunch time – starving 

P1020787